Teeth Pitted after Braces Removed

47 Rating(s).

Posted on By Gerry Stanford In Orthodontics

Hi all. My daughter got her braces on in 2018 when she was 12 and got them off in 2020 when she was 15. As soon as she came out of having her braces removed, I noticed pitting and lines on the surface her teeth, which looks bad and concerns me greatly in regard to both the cosmetic appeal of her teeth and their health. Please see the attached before and after pics.

I pursued a meeting with the practice and today was told that this pitting can occur because the parts of the tooth may have grown unevenly under the braces which can cause the enamel to come off with the glue removal process, or because of poor hygiene. (My daughter took excellent care of her teeth.)

Can anyone tell me whether this is indeed a reasonable explanation for this pitting, or if the ortho practice messed up royally? It really breaks my heart.

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Teeth Pitted after Braces Removed

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

6 Comments

These marks are typical for hypocalcification. The pitting can occur during bracket removal to a degree and when removing the bonding materials. This can occur around the braces and some people have it without braces. Look at the before images and you will recognize some white spots on her teeth as well. I would recommend seeing a dentist and they can help bleach her teeth and these spots will not be as noticeable and her smile will improve. Good luck Dr. Salama

Please understand that I am not referring at all to white spots, but to actual grooves and pits in the front surface of her teeth.

Sometimes, things such as this can happen when one goes through orthodontic treatment, which is why we have cosmetic dentistry in Thunder Bay. Cosmetic dentistry near you involves many treatments such as porcelain veneers, dental crowns, teeth whitening and more. Speak to a dentist about how cosmetic dentistry can help transform your smile. For More Visit: https://currentriverdental.ca/services/cosmetic-dentistry/

These marks are common in health-related data. Pitting can occur during bracket removal and, to a lesser extent, when removing bonding materials. This can happen around the braces, and some people have it even if they don't have braces.

You can get recommendations from your local dentist.

Dental care should be done on a regular basis. Also, use mouthwash and seek medical advice whenever possible.

Brasseler
PET Kit