R lateral sinus wall defect

122 Rating(s).

Posted on By David Crawford In Sinus Augmentation

Right sinus Lateral wall defect from prior tissue/material reaction to Maxxeus graft material (PT had hives too ) resulting in rejection/ejection of graft material and some necrosis around access "window". Crestal approach won't work due to morphology. What's best way to repair and sinus graft here?

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on R lateral sinus wall defect

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

5 Comments

Tough situation. Do you have clinical images? Tissue quality remaining.
This is a more advanced posterior reconstruction now as it will require sinus grafting and horizontal GBR. Would do 1 at a time. Incision towards palate and bring over FULL thickness flap to labial fo expose lateral wall opening. Lift remaining membrane and place collagen membrane to protect sinus graft. Use membrane tacks to stabilize. Gain complete primary closure and wait 5 months. Come back and place implants and perform horizontal GBR at same time. good luck. Tough case. Dr. Salama

The tissue quality is OK but there is mostly mucosa, not keratinized tissue, along with a muscle attachment extending toward crest from repair surgery to cover defect on buccal aspect. I noticed you typed FULL thickness in all caps. I have had recommendation to go full thickness to edge of defect then partial thickness over defect (erring on preserving buccal gingival tissue) and reflecting inward as part of membrane. I am aware of Mike Pikos' technique of membrane reconstruction and have used it a few times (that was my back-up plan). Thoughts?

David; Then perform FGG first....then Full-Split flap.
Dr. S

Can you please upload panoramic view and intraoral photo as well?
Recently I did similar case, defect was smaller but the idea is the same.
You have already mentioned that.

I'd make computer planning. If the amount of bone I have now is enough, I'd do sinus augmentation, horizontal gbr and implant placement in one surgery.
Of course this is the case if schneiderian membrane is elevated successfuly. If not then Dr. Salama's protocol.
Soft tissue second stage.
That's IMHO.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DentalxpWorld/permalink/1443578359079337/

Dentalxp
Ritter