Non-Professional Seeking Home Made Retainer Help

0 Rating(s).

Posted on By Timothy Gray In Esthetic Therapy (General)

So I've joined this forum because the internets vast, and the best place for info is a professional forum. My apologies if I'm out of my element, I understand the risks and understand I can permanently cause major problems for myself.

So with that out of the way, I've previously had braces and my retainers were accidentally destroyed. Due to lack of funds, I could not have replacements made. Now my teeth have shifted and I'm doing my own work to fix it. I've created my own alginate mold and did a cast of my teeth. I then 3d scanned them into my computer using photogrammetry. I've gone through some ortho textbooks and found information pertaining to proper adjustment of teeth and where to put pressure for rotation, tilt, and pivot points.

So my question is, for doing my own adjustments (via 3d rendering), do I make adjustments to all my teeth at once or some teeth until I've moved specific teeth enough. I know teeth move around 1mm per 5ish week period, but I dont know best practice for practical movement. My canines have shifted outward, my two front teeth face slightly inward, and the teeth between my canines and front are pushed back slightly. Any advice would be great. Again my apologies for being a non-professional. But thank you for any advice.

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Non-Professional Seeking Home Made Retainer Help

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

2 Comments

Hi Timothy,
You have shown great invention but unfortunately there are several problems
1 alginate may not produce an ideal model of your teeth, dentists will often use more expensive "rubber" materials that produce a more precise mould
2 moving teeth needs to be done in a precise fashion to prevent many complications arising eg death of teeth. planning is mainly carried out with specific orthodontic(brace) software allowing us to judge movements precisely and its possible effect on other teeth
3 often and its probable in your case you might need some enamel shaved off the sides the the teeth to gain space and allow for easier tooth movement-remove too much and you end up with gaps between your teeth , too lightly and teeth don't move and pain can result
these are just a few issues there are many more
Best advice-leave it to the professional who have trained for many years to best serve you. You issues don't appear that bad -you don't want to make them worse!

Are you looking to receive ceramic braces in NE Calgary? If you would like to receive ceramic braces near you, they are an excellent alternative to traditional braces. They are less noticeable but just as effective. They can treat all the same concerns metal braces can. However, ceramic braces will require more care as they are made from a tooth-coloured ceramic, which is more prone to stains. You should be mindful of what you're eating and rinse immediately after each meal to prevent discolouration. Braces can treat any type of misalignment, crowding, and bite issue. They are an effective way to improve your smile and oral health.

Magnetic Mallet
PET Kit