Lines on back tooth

0 Rating(s).

Posted on By Anna Bazinet In Patient/Consumer Inquiries

I have two lines on the back of my right molar. I recently went to my dentist (in March of this year) and there were no lines on my teeth. Suddenly, as if over night I now have these lines. Are they cavities? Should I be concerned? I brush my teeth twice a day, floss once every day and use mouthwash morning and night. I have no pain in my mouth, do not drink coffee, tea or sugary beverages. I do drink wine occasionally and the odd muffin here and there. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Lines on back tooth

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

2 Comments

Hi! cavities do not develop over the night. Deep molar grooves get stains that is why you have a sealant on a first molar to prevent caries. Of course we need X-rays, but I would trust your dentist. I hope it helps! Gregory

Don’t panic! Most often these vertical lines are not serious cracks, just shallow cracks referred to as “craze lines”. Craze lines only affect the outer enamel of your teeth making them merely a cosmetic imperfection. They are most commonly a result of too much bite force (e.g. teeth clenching or grinding, biting fingernails, etc.) Although craze lines are no cause for concern, they can become more noticeable over time as stains get trapped in them. Just having your bi-annual teeth cleaning at your dentist appointment can help polish away the appearance of craze lines. If they need more attention you can use a whitening treatment to lighten them.

Brasseler
Ritter