Botched root canal?

107 Rating(s).

Posted on By James Jones In Patient/Consumer Inquiries

1.5 yrs after a root canal was performed in a upper-left molar, it became painful and the endodontist recommended that it be extracted.

Upon extraction (a 2nd doctor), they exclaimed "Oh my! I've never seen that before." The tooth had pink filling material leaking out all 3 root tips.

I have tried to research this online, and I could not find an over drilling case with multiple perforations.

I wonder how the depth is calculated in standard practice and how all 3 roots could become over drilled like this.

I have not approached the endodontist yet. I wonder what I should even say or ask of him in my case.

Thanks, in advance, for any information you can provide!

Extracted Tooth

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Botched root canal?

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

6 Comments

Hi James
Whilst the root fillings are less than ideal one must remember that the failure of the tooth is not necessarily down to slightly long root fillings and many would suggest that it is better to be slightly long than short. The pink material is gutta percha and relatively inert to the body.
for a dentist to suggest he/she has not seen this before would suggest limited experience

Thanks so much for your reply! I’m happy to hear that and appreciate your time to educate me (and other future readers).

I agree with Barry Rimer.

I agree with Barry Rimer.

Thanks to offer such a helpful response, keep sharing more knowledgeable content.

Root canal therapy in Shawnessy is done to help prevent your toot from dying and having to be extracted. Root canal therapy near you is performed by your dentist removing any infected portion of your tooth root, disinfecting and sealing the area. Most often, your dentist will also place a crown over the tooth to ensure that it is protected. For more information please visit our website: https://www.summitdental.ca/services/root-canal-therapy/

Related Posts

107 Rating(s)

Magnetic Mallet
NovaBone