Apicoectomy after 8 years

117 Rating(s).

Posted on By Jorge Campos In Bone Grafting

Hi, today a follow up (8 years) came to office. Xrays and pics of control. I´m showing the difference of incision design and sutures of nowadays apicoectomies.
My protocoll is:
Horizontal incision on mucosa.
(I found that horizontal makes vascularization improvement on the site)
Clean and local antibiotics, Lincomicine 4 minutes, Povidona, 4 minutes, and biomaterial + PRF. Sometimes membrane. 6.0 sutures horizontal matress.
Comments on protocol? Do you differ from this?
Regards.
Jorge

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Apicoectomy after 8 years

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

9 Comments

Actual incision design and suture.
Case 1

Actual Incision design and suture
Case 2

Final pic, case 2

Jorge, good issues for discussion. Incision on adherent gingiva seemed to give andvantages in terms of healing without scars. I notice that you do apicoectomy with no retro-filling: is this procedure not necessary on your opinion? Results seem successful. Thanks for sharing cases. Armando

Jorge.
I like your incision and flap design very much. However, I ( and the literature) don't find the apicoectmy success rate to much better than 50% w/wo retro fill. Looks like you won the "coin toss" twice in this case. Do you think your surgical approach improves the odds? Nice result. Thank you for sharing. Chuck.

Hi Chuck, this incision design for me has a lot of advantages when we talk about healling. When you compare flaps with vertical discharges...there is a blue cianotic color that you don´t see here.
My success rate, is much better than 50 %. May be 55% :-))
Ha, ha. I think that more than 80% (want to be humble)
This procedures are very related to Operator.
The same happens with Schneiderian tear. My rate is lower than 10%...because of my technic, and practice.
In all those estadistics the learning curve plays a role.
Regards my friend.
Jorge

Armando, may be retrofilling help to control infection, but...if there is infection, I do not believe it will help.
I prefer to redo the Root treatment canal.
Thanks for comenting.
Jorge

Well done my friend. Beautiful surgery. Mo

Thanks Mo, the patient came today and is very happy!
Jorge

Ritter
Brasseler