3rd year dental student seeking help on complex case

0 Rating(s).

Posted on By Alexa Brown In Esthetic Therapy (General)

Hello everyone, I’m new here and have a few questions I’m hoping I can get help with!

My patient is a 71 year old male with diabetes and an HbA1c of 10.2. His main concern is esthetics and wants a “pretty smile again”. He is a heavy bruxer and has a high caries risk. He’s missing 14, 19, 23-26, 30,31 and has an FPD from 18-20. Right now he wears and RPD on the mandible but he doesn’t want anything removable again. He also has a few fractured teeth. 8 is fractured on the lingual and he has a PFM crown on 9. He says he wants the crown redone and wants his teeth bleached to match the ceramic FPD. I need to come up with a few treatment plans to present to my faculty.

My thoughts were an implant supported RPD?
I was also wondering if a 6 unit FPD from 22-27 is doable? Would that put too much stress on the canines? Or would it be ok since the crown to root ratio of a canine is quite high. I was also wondering if it’s ok to put a crown on 8 since it’s fractured on the lingual and composite would not stay since he’s a bruxer. My faculty likes to stay as conservative as possible so I wasn’t sure if that was a good enough reason.

The other option would be all implants.

Also, if I were to do implants in the anterior, are there any specific rules as to what it can/can not oppose? Would it be ok if it opposed and all ceramic crown?

I know we learn “like opposes like” so for #14 I would have to do a ceramic FPD as well. Just wondering if I could choose and implant for that option instead.

Sorry for the long post, would love to hear everyone’s comments and opinions though. Thanks so much!

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on 3rd year dental student seeking help on complex case

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

2 Comments

Hi! Responding to your question without radiographs & photos. Please keep in mind the precautions for Diabetic HbA1c 10.2. Considering good bone support and healthy perio. Easiest treatment plan crowns 8,9 ok fixed bridge 13-15 fixed bridge 22-27 or 21-28 IMPLANTS 30, 31 Occlusal equilibration Hopefully I m correct with the missing teeth :-)

Ideally you could present case with pics just like a lecturer would. It hard to help without pics and radio. Thanks

Henry Schein
Salvin