Equilibration Technique

121 Rating(s).

Posted on By brian mills In Occlusion

This is a very efficient and accurate equilibration technique. Once you've completed the initial procedure take new mounted models and evaluate and refine as needed then do final refinement intra orally.

Add a comment to the discussion on Equilibration Technique

1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Video has been added to your favorites.
Video has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

8 Comments

Nicely explained. Thanks for sharing Dr.Salama

Maurice Thanks for your comment and watching the video. Look forward to seeing you in Las Vegas. Take care Brian

Hi Brian;
My approach to equilibrating the models is similar to yours.The reason I equilibrate the models is to make sure that the modifications won't extend into the dentin which then requires a restoration and some explaining to the patient.
What happens if your mounting is not accurate and you end up removing tooth structure based on misinformation.
I think it is more accurate to test the accuracy of your mounting in the mouth using a leaf gauge. Yes it takes me longer to do this in the mouth but that is not a standard of excellence.
The mounting indicates that a patient may NEED an equilibration but the leaf gauge provides a much more accurate albeit time consuming approach to actually locating the discrepancy in the occlusion.
Regards,
gerald

Gerald, Thanks for your comments. I agree with you about always being mindful about the accuracy of your mounting. That is why I only complete about 70-80 % then finish with a shim/gauge. In these short videos it is difficult at times to demonstrate the entire procedure.
That being said I do less and less negative coronal plasty these days and more additive coronal plasty to try and maintain as much enamel as possible.
Also I find that it helps facilitate either maintaining cuspal form or adding and improving it.
Take care Brian

Brian;
I could not agree with you more about adding rather than removing tooth structure. The destruction of a dentition for the fabrication of crowns borders on criminal..The overwhelming majority of teeth that have crowns could have been maintained with direct resin using an acceptable protocol under rubber dam...But I am teaching to the choir.
Nice work....as always. I have watched your other videos on YouTube.
gerald

Thanks for watching. I feel that knowledge is not proprietary and that it should be shared to improve what we can all do for our patients. Take care Brian

Very nice video.
Can someone explain the etiology of the condition when equilibration is used as a treatment modality?

Anton, Hope all is well.
I think you can think about the etiology of occ disfunction/disharmony in several categories.
There is growth and development.
Iatrogenic such as restorative tx or orthodontic tx.
Metabolic/physiologic causes ie. PCR/DJD secondary to ethinyl estrodiol based BCP or RA for example.
Trauma.
These are the big picture categories I look at when dgn a case to determine the etiology of what may have contributed to the pt's occ disfunction/disharmony.
From here possible solutions may include equilibration/negative coronalplasty as part of the treatment plan.
As always we need to determine the what and why before we can determine how to proceed with treatment.
I hope this was helpful. Take care Brian

Salvin
Augma Bio