Augmented Reality and Surgery

80 Rating(s).

Posted on By Naheed Mohamed In CBCT & CAD/CAM

This video showcases a side project I have been working on over the past year. It is an example of where the future is going with technology. This short video was used in conjunction with a surgery we had completed to remove a cystic lesion around the maxillary premolar and molars. The video shows and example of how augmented reality can be used in live surgery to view CT scan reports and 3D rendering of anatomy and how it can aid visualization during surgery. Its been a while since I've posted. Its good to be back. Hopefully you all enjoy it. See you all in Florida!!!

Add a comment to the discussion on Augmented Reality and Surgery

1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Video has been added to your favorites.
Video has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

10 Comments

These are images of the 3D printed models from the digital 3D model of the maxilla and the cystic lesion. This allowed a digital augmented reality hologram of the maxilla that can be viewed and manipulated as well as the a 3D printed model you hold and visualize as well during surgery. As AR quality and accuracy improves, I suspect this will soon replace the need for 3D printed models.

Regards Naheed

Naheed

Very exciting holographic study. Could you please send me the video, I would like to forward it to a collegue of mine in Germany. We are trying to incorporate this in the veterinary dental field. Attaching some images of the work being done.

Great video
eastpointpet@gmail.com

Rocco

Surgical

No problem Rocco. I will email the full video to you tonight. Your case looks really cool. I see a custom 3D cad designed implant which seems to be printed or milled for the case. Awesome stuff with patient specific custom implants. Glad you liked the video.

Regards

So cool...thanks for sharing.

Naheed,

great stuff- What software are you using to do this - and can you give me a bit more info as far as directing you during surgery- did it help with your approach and direct size of lesion - did it change your tactile awareness? Will you relate to implant placement or graft harvest - I see you mind going

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks for the compliments Richard. This currently is a proof of concept. I used a developers edition Microsoft Hololens for this. It is a means to see your data and models more easily in the operatory environment. This takes away the need to print a 3D model and allows easy manipulation with your fingers. The ideal final goal here is to be able to register the hologram to the patient so that it can be overlaid directly onto the patient so that you can sort of see through them. Kind of like how you register an intra-oral scan to the cbct data in the software or like how the Navident Live guided surgery system works. My next step is like you said to do an implant surgery or bone augmentation.

Regards,

Naheed

Naheed. Cool use of imaging technology, Thank you for sharing.see you in Florida. Best regards.Chuck

Thank you Chuck. Looking forward to it. Naheed

Indeed,AR technology is a trend today. And the field of medicine is no exception. AR technology can turn the field of medicine and greatly improve its functionality. I read a lot of information on the theme of augmented reality and follow trends. I recently found a cool development guide - https://bit.ly/2GPjeqz , I hope this will be useful for reading

NovaBone
Dentalxp