The Strength of Resin

140 Rating(s).

Posted on By Gerald Benjamin In Composite Resin

A large percent of young dentists believe that resin is a vastly inferior material to some ceramics. An Empress onlay was placed ~2006 as a large DOL (B) restoration. It fractured in 2011 and I placed a direct restoration in tooth #1 but in #2 position. This distal surface of the upper last molar takes the highest forces of any tooth in the mouth. The compressive, flexural and tensile strength of Filtek Supreme Ultra is 3-4 times that of Empress.

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on The Strength of Resin

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

4 Comments

Impressive comparison of restorative materials....so you prefer direct resins in these indications over indirect materials? Thanks Maurice

Hi Maurice;
I virtually never place an indirect restoration on a vital tooth in the mouth of a 20,30 or 40 year old patient. That amounts to pre implant treatment planning. The vast majority of dentists use pre 1992 standards for an indirect restoration i.e. if a restoration or lesion is half the width buccal-lingually, the tooth is deem weak and requires a crown or onlay. Dentinal bonding completely changed that standard but few care. For the last 25 years, I place very few indirect restorations unless I am doing comprehensive dentistry which usually on an older patient.

Direct resin placed under a rubber dam is my go to restoration and usually lasts 20+ years. It is interesting to note that the average posterior resin lasts 7 years and 42% have recurrent caries both as reported by Dr. Gordon Christensen.

Completely agree. Nice conservative results.
What do you think about indirect resin inlay?

My protocol for direct is selective etch+CLEARFIL SEBOND+resin.

For indirect; Immediate Dentin Sealing (Optibond FL Kerr). Bonded Resin Inlay with Sandblast+Etch+Adhesive (Optibond fl) + Thermo modified Filtek Z100.

Hi Damir;
I placed thousands of indirect processed resin onlays in the mid 1990s to 2000. Concept remains my all time favorite with some doing well after 25 years.
Regards,
gerald

BTI
3Shape