Socket Shield Reutilization

211 Rating(s).

Posted on By Jorge Campos In Failures

Here I post a case that shows the posibilities of the PET treatments.
For me was a difficult case: an Immediate Load done on Socket Shield on the front that has worked successfully two months. After that the mobility of the 6 implants made this case a total faillure.
The day of the removal of the implants I cleaned the sockets WITHOUT REMOVING SHIELDS. Povidone 4 minutes, Clindamicine 4 minutes and filled with Mineross.
After 4 months new implants on same sites. There are two RST of vital teeth, check the vitality on the succesive reentries.
After 6 months, today, on the uncovery surgery ALL the implants where integrated. Probing on the SS-Implant interface showed the usual distance of 3 mm, when there is a gap. On the implant that was on contact, at starting, the probing depth is 0.
I did shield remodelling on 11 and the RST of 10.
The overall bone contour was mantained thanks to the PET treatment.
Should this be on Friday´s poetry but tomorrow I´m on Portugal for a lecture of....guess. (SS)
Regards
Jorge

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Socket Shield Reutilization

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

29 Comments

the day of implants insertion.

Shield contouring

Jorge, breathless I am turning the pages of your adventure story. Only a strongest convinced PET fan can bring this story to the end in this way. Thank you for this great lecture and inspiration.
Looking forward to see Chuck`s and Richard`s comments, preferable some Clint Eastwood quote.
I quote Schwarzenegger: " I`ll be back" said Jorge after taking out the implants.
I still envy you for not caring about soft tissue invagination. I know, I know, you are going to say is that we have it at every post ex placed implants...but still....
Best regards, enjoy your time in Portugal and spread PET idea!
Snjezana

Ha, ha Snjezana, your vision is correct. This was a looong story with a happy ending. I was very worried because this never happened to me. A immediate load with two months successfull and then a sudden collapse. Weird...
But reallity was reallity, and had to face to extract the implants go for a removable and so on.
I decided to mantain the shields and clean exhaustivelly the sockets. And re-try to implant!
Yes , I don´t mind the soft tissue in between...;-)
Let´s see the final prosthesis!
Regards
Jorge

Jorge. Great case management! I wouldn't give up either. See Outlaw Josey Wales quote below. Well done as always my friend. Chuck

You can't lose your head...That's just the way it is.

Hahahahahahahaha-! And another Ha!
Good Chuck. Very good. I trully believe in this.
Thanks for posting cow-boy heros!
Jorge

Wow....incredible documentation. why do you feel the implants failed originally? Any visible infection? How long was the patient in a removeable dentire prosthesis? The loading of the Soft tissue by the denture is a challenge for any implant site and even more so with a PET case....Thanks for sharing Mo

Thanks MO, this man was 4 months after the extraction of the implants and the regeneration on the same day, New implants that waited 6 months more to be uncovered today. Total: 10 months.
It´s funy because this patient urged to have an immediate load because he didn´t wanted to wear a removable prosthesis...
All implants were above 45Nw. I really don´t understand the reason for this faillure.
May be he uses, discontinually, a removable lower prosthesis. And only loaded the anterior part when he does not uses some nights the lower prosthesis?
I´m begining to think that perhaps is better to position the implant IN CONTACT with the shield.
What is your idea about that?
Regards
Jorge

Jorge,
Do you have any Xray ? I guess a lot has to do with mobile prosthetic.
But also primary stability is an issue.
Did you take into consideration immediate load ?
Nice thing about shield is that it function no matter the implant is there or not.
One thought: when implant moves you don't have bone integration but, what happens if it is the shield that moves as in your case here?
BTW I prefer calling it PET. SS doesn't sounds great for Europe past Memory.
Armando

Hi Armando. I´ll post soon the CBCT images as well. It is indeed a good new how that PET works with or without the implant.
When was first loaded the implants had good primary stability.
Good to hear from you.
Regards
Jorge

Jorge that is a frontier case! I can not imagine (maybe I can) what would have happened to your facial bone after the loss of the implants.
Amazing stuff..
Do you re-treat the inner surfaces of the roots other than chemically with POV and abs? (meaning do you prep with a diamond bur the inner surfaces at all?)

Yiannis

Hi Yiannis, no I didn´t treat mechanically the inner side of the Shield. Just chemically.
I didn´t think it was necessary. Is it?
Thanks for your kind words. It´s really a FAITh case on PET, HA,HA.
Regards my friend
Jorge

Great case of a even greater recovery !
This IS NOT a case for the faint hearted.
I imagine the emotion you felt when you realized you were loosing your initial implants.
Why do you think this happened ? Anything to do with occlusion ?

Christian, may be the occlusion...it´s my only explanation. And yes, I had a thrill on the uncovery of the 2nd phase. The patient is also happy but with fear about another faillure.
Regards
Jorge

Jorge,

Where do I start- Well to answer this post I had to read it on 2 laptops and an iPad to keep my thoughts fresh

first thing - Grreat post- Chuck the envelope is now a mail pouch- both you and Jorge in it together !

I am going to borrow your idea of suturing the flap to the buccal-

Chuck- I love Josey Wales but now you need a a Lee Van Cleef quote

Snjezana- I love Arnold but you now have to quote Stallone and Apollo Creed!

Okay lets get serious- Jorge- I admire your immed load- I was looking at photo with multi unit abutment and wondering about several factors- the height of the abutment -and bone and shield reduction- approximation of the abutment to the PET Why? well when I do cases like this, I have to reduce the entire alveolus in order to make room for the prosthetics- in addition I at times have to reduce bone to allow the multiunit abutment to completely seat or it will loosen ( maybe what armando is saying)
so what I am thinking is if you have to reduce bone you have to reduce shield- so maybe vertical dimension & occlusal forces - and yes a removable mandibular denture and off axis loading -

Also did you load all implants? typically if I have six I will only load 4 - the ones with highest torque

Lastly ( Phew) your thoughts about exposing the alveolus several times - blood supply - soft tissue -

Oh yeah- Believe in the force! believe in PET- it is powerful - The Dark side can be overcome!

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard, thanks for your words!!
You can borrow anything I post. I do the same with all of you.
The Multiunit was used only on the distal implants that had no PET. Both were adjusted at 20 nw.
I usually load the anterior 4 implants and left the posterior implants submerged on mandible. On the upper I try to load all 6. On the 2nd attempt I insert 8 implants, and the posterior with inner sinus lift with Densah, I didn´t mentioned before.
I believe the oclusion had a role, but this was very weird.
Regards my friend, and may the Force be with you.
Jorge-Jedi

Jorge

Makes sense- at times we have no cause- Setback is an opportunity for a comeback!!

cheers,

Richard

Hard to say what is better at Saturday evening: Howie`s presentation from NY or this post.
Chuck and Richard, you made my evening:)
Richard, I agree with you regarding multi-unit abutments.
Cheers
Snjezana

Hi Snjezana. I love your chosen phrases. Keep on!
I´m also a kind of samurai, so I continue my way till the end. Like in this post, you can see that I give a 2nd opportunity to PET and I worked. (It was not my first time: when an implant does not integrate on a PET socket I retry, and allways had ben successfull on the 2nd.)
Regards
Jorge

I could not have said it better,
To many punches may cloud your decision making!

Friday's Poetry
Saturday's Quotes

Cheers,

Richard

Great Richard!
"Saturday night fever"...ha, ha.
Jorge

Jorge,

As The Bee Gees say! "Staying Alive" is what we hope for PET!

Enjoy Lisbon!

Cheers,

Richard

Ha, ha, staying alive, Ha, ha , ha staying alive!
Thanks Richard
Jorge

Jorge,

As The Bee Gees say! "Staying Alive" is what we hope for PET!

Enjoy Lisbon!

Cheers,

Richard

The "socket shield technique" has demonstrated the potential
in preventing buccal tissue from resorption in animal and
clinical studies. It is assumed that retaining a root fragment
aached to the buccal bone plate in this technique can avoid
tissue alteration after tooth extraction. This article presents
a 58-year-old healthy man with a failing upper right second
premolar which would be replaced by an implant-supported
single crown. Leaving a partial root fragment at buccal side
in combination with immediate implant placement lingual
to the retained fragment was performed. Four months aer
implant placement, clinical examination showed healthy
peri-implant so tissue and the ridge was well preserved. A
denitive metal ceramic crown was fabricated and cemented
on a titanium abutment. The prosthesis successfully
restored the function of the patient. A maximum amount
of horizontal resorption at the buccal side was 0.72mm.
Applying socket shield technique and immediate implant
placement may be a feasible treatment option in case with
high esthetic concern.

The "socket shield technique" has demonstrated the potential
in preventing buccal tissue from resorption in animal and
clinical studies. It is assumed that retaining a root fragment
aached to the buccal bone plate in this technique can avoid
tissue alteration after tooth extraction. This article presents
a 58-year-old healthy man with a failing upper right second
premolar which would be replaced by an implant-supported
single crown. Leaving a partial root fragment at buccal side
in combination with immediate implant placement lingual
to the retained fragment was performed. Four months aer
implant placement, clinical examination showed healthy
peri-implant so tissue and the ridge was well preserved. A
denitive metal ceramic crown was fabricated and cemented
on a titanium abutment. The prosthesis successfully
restored the function of the patient. A maximum amount
of horizontal resorption at the buccal side was 0.72mm.
Applying socket shield technique and immediate implant
placement may be a feasible treatment option in case with
high esthetic concern.

Wow, this post brought out the "All Stars". Jorge, just a simple question. Why the soft tissue reflection at the initial appointment? Was it full or split thickness? Do you feel that this may have contributed to the bone loss/implant exposure seen? Glad for your excellent teaching. One word "Pioneer".

I so enjoyed your closing comment at the Densah Symposium about getting into the little boat. The Titanic may indeed be sinking. Thank you.

PET Kit
Nobel Biocare