Snoring and occlusion, can you explain it?

106 Rating(s).

Posted on By Mehron Haidari In Occlusion

Good day docs. female pt about 45y.o, good OH, #18 mobility class II, no peirodontal problem, pocket depths around #18 are 2 and 3mm, #18 has class V restoration. No other tooth has any abnormal mobility, all have class 0 mobility. So I diag #18 as occlusal trauma. Put her on deprogrammer and sure enough #18 showed premature contacts on lateral movement. I adjusted the tooth. I received the attached text from her about 4 days later. Can someone explain? This is what she said.

"Ever since u adjusted my teeth my husband said I've been snoring less. Crazy. He said I've snored less in the past 4 days than in the last 4 years. Thanks u"

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Snoring and occlusion, can you explain it?

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

2 Comments

Mehron, one possible explanation is repositioning of mandible mesially while it was initially retruded. If mandible during sleeping bend posteriorly toungue will follow occluding farinx and predisponing to snoring and sleep apnea. Your result immediately positive need to be checked in time as posture and occlusion tend to pull back to initial situation. Hope this could be helpful. Thanks for sharing this experience. Armando

Mehron; Always good to add images to your post like Panorex, Cephalometric, facial and occlusal views etc. etc. of your patient. Possibly as mentioned you removed an interference that had kept the mandible from positioning forward allowing for an upward and forward repositioning of the mandible at rest allowing for an increased airway. good luck Dr. Salama

Brasseler
PET Kit