Severe Posterior maxillary atrophy, with a failed sinus lift.

19 Rating(s).

Posted on By Wahib Moussa In Implants

Hello all,

This patient is a 68 year old medically compromised female, with bad oral hygiene. She presents to our office after a failed sinus lift attempt in the posterior right maxilla. There is severe atrophy of the maxilla + oral-antral communication resulting from the failed sinus lift.

Patient is asking for a fixed restoration, though i do not believe that her health would allow her to go through massive grafting surgeries. So we went ahead and fabricated a subperiosteal implant using a stereolithographic model. I have had lots of experience working with subperiosteal implants in the 1980's. But after receiving this implant, i began to worry over the severe over extension of the implant over the palate and zygoma.

I would appreciate hearing different thoughts and treatment plans for this case. Thank you.

Regards,

Wahib

Intraoral photo
CBCT

CBCT
Stereolithographic model+subperiosteal implant
Add a comment to the discussion on Severe Posterior maxillary atrophy, with a failed sinus lift.
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
Edit Comment
Comment has been updated.

5 Comments

I don't have experience with these implants but have removed quite a few. I believe best option here is extraction of remaining teeth and placement of 4 implants in anterior region with bar overdenture. Also, a discussion with patient about oral hygiene and health. Good luck Dr. Salama

Thank you Dr.salama .
Wahib Moussa

I agree with Maurice. Using the anterior bone before it's too late and stay with nothing in that area .. Change urgent hygiene habits. Return occlusion parameters so that everything perpetue in time.
Good Luck.

I agree with Maurice. Using the anterior bone before it's too late and stay with nothing in that area .. Change urgent hygiene habits. Return occlusion parameters so that everything perpetue in time.
Good Luck.

Thank you Larrabe. Regards.

Wahib.

Related Posts

Recent Posts

114 Rating(s)
6 Rating(s)
205 Rating(s)
112 Rating(s)
152 Rating(s)