ROOT SUBMERGENCE

89 Rating(s).

Posted on By ashok gowda In Other

Hi, every one. This patient is 88 yrs old male, medically compromised and he is on Clopidogrel from long time. Last month fractured his old bridge, was not in a position to go for complete treatment because of medical issues. His physician requested me for a conservative treatment plan.

I submerged the root of rt. lateral and at present given a temporary bridge with a cantilever on tooth #7. Post op x - ray revealed the extrusion of cement in to the healing sulcus space, so removed the bridge immediately and used plumbers tape to avoid extrusion of cement, its a tape which i regularly use for composite work. In my office this simple tape plays a big role in various dental procedures.

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on ROOT SUBMERGENCE

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

6 Comments

The root submergence technique preserves the periodontium surrounding a root without requiring an extraction. A submerged root maintains the periodontal attachment complex, preventing the resorption of the alveolar bone on the buccal and lingual walls, as well as on the interproximal area. As a result, this technique maintains the dimension of the alveolar ridge and the surrounding tissue. Root submergence was first introduced to prevent residual alveolar ridge resorption in order to increase the retention and resistance of a complete denture. Clinical and histological studies found that non-infected vital or endodontically treated roots reduced at the level of the bone crest or below the crest and completely submerged within the alveolus were able to effectively preserve the residual ridge. Recently, this concept has also been applied to rehabilitation with fixed dental prostheses. Under the pontic site, a root was retained at the crestal bone level to preserve ridge form and no exposure of the root was expected, due to the absence of direct pressure over it. The root submergence technique has also been applied in implant-supported prostheses in the maxillary anterior region. Although successful esthetic outcomes without papilla loss or collapse of the arch have been reported, the long-term results of the root submergence technique have not been published.If one can visit at http://www.drismaelkhouly.com/, he can know all the things related with that.

A single-tooth implant in the esthetic region has good potential for success, but it is still challenging to restore multiple-tooth defects with implant-supported prostheses that resemble the natural dentition. This article suggests a strategy to provide a more predictable protocol for esthetic implant treatment for multiple-tooth defects using the root submergence technique (RST). By maintaining the natural tooth root with the RST a much greater amount of surrounding tissue may be preserved than with the commonly used socket preservation technique, which almost always leads to crestal bone resorption and thus reduction of the height of the interdental papillae and width of the edentulous ridge. RST instead maintains the natural attachment apparatus of the tooth in the pontic site, which in turn allows for complete preservation of the alveolar bone frame and assists in the creation of an esthetic result in adjacent multiple-tooth-replacement cases. In situations with periodontal bone loss, orthodontic extrusion is required to create the underlying bone support for the papilla that is necessary to guarantee predictability. As I am a doctor,I can tell you for your visiting at https://www.dentistanyc.com/ for full information.

DoWell Dental Products
NovaBone