Root Canal: Second Opinion

149 Rating(s).


Posted on By adam kaufmann In Endodontics

I recently switched insurance and therefore a new dentist and would like a second opinion. The dentist recommend I get a root canal looking at this xray, but they made no mention on using a specialist. Can this be fixed with a filling? It's the second tooth from the left on the first photo, first tooth on the left on the second photo. Thanks!

xray

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Root Canal: Second Opinion


Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

8 Comments

First off, don't always let insurance be a reason for switching dentists. If you trust your current dentist, and he or she is honest/ethical, stay with them. It'll wind up saving you money in the long run.

To answer you question though, based on the your radiograph, that tooth (#12) needs root canal therapy. The decay is so close to the nerve tissue that upon removal (of the decay) there's almost a guaranteed chance of a pulp exposure.

Most general dentists provide root canal treatment; however, you certainly have the option/right to see a root canal specialist (endodontist). In fact approximately 80% of root canals are performed by general dentists.

Also, be sure you get the decay treated on the back lower left tooth (#18) and start flossing.

Cheers!


Reply

Adam; Yes the tooth will require a root canal in order for you to save the tooth .... and most likely a crown. Selecting a physician or dentist based solely on cost rather than competence will ALWAYS be more expensive. Regards, gerald


Reply

Adam; Yes the tooth will require a root canal in order for you to save the tooth .... and most likely a crown. Selecting a physician or dentist based solely on cost rather than competence will ALWAYS be more expensive. Regards, gerald


Reply

I disagree with the previous comments to the certain extent, that is. One cannot make a diagnosis (and therefore treatment plan) solely based on radiographic image, especially when it is only a bitewing. A thorough clinical exam should be performed with additional periapical radiograph(s) to establish the proper diagnosis. Endodontic treatment seems highly likely, but not certain at this point. Hope that helps.


Reply

Thank you, is there any risk to waiting until next month to get this treated? My new dental plan kicks in September 1. As in do you see anything that indicates imminent danger? I have no pain, just mild sensitivity to cold. I added the xray on the nerve root, thank you so much


Reply

If this was my tooth, I would not wait. The longer you wait, the higher chance of having root canal. As mentioned before, your dental coverage should not influence your decision making if it comes to treatment. I would rather have a restoration done (and paid out of my pocket) than a root canal (paid by insurance). There are more cavities but those can wait a month :)


Reply

Thanks again, I'm waiting for insurance due to financial concerns, all of these procedures are expensive. I plan on getting the cavity taken care of, is it possible to get a away with a filling over a crown? My understanding is that crowns are thousands of dollars


Reply

In the event that this was my tooth, I would not hold up. The more you hold up, the higher shot of having root trench. As specified some time recently, your dental scope ought not impact your basic leadership in the event that it comes to treatment. I would preferably have a rebuilding done than a root waterway.


Reply


Augma Bio
Salvin