Ridge Split for ortho

110 Rating(s).

Posted on By Jason Witons In Orthodontics

This case was from an Orthodontist 2 years Ago. I did a ridge augmentation to #5,and #12.

To close the spaces #5,12 he is asking for me to drill a hole to simulate an extraction socket and is concerned with bone width.

I have attached Photos and CT scan imagines. #5 appears to be wide. #12 perhaps not as much with 4 mm at crest.

Is drilling a hole an recommended? if so how wide?
How about ridge splitting to make them wider?
She possibly could do dental implants but I have not discussed that.

Thanks!

Jason

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Ridge Split for ortho

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

5 Comments

I would like to see the patient's smile line because that would help determine what you decide to do about making the gingival tissue look good. Also, consider direct bonding of the mesial of #4 to help you make the illusion of proper proportion. You can also do it to the distal of the cuspid and on the opposite side if necessary.

Hi Ron,

This case is being run by the Ortho.

He wants more bone width to #5,12 For his movement to close the spaces.

I am trying to see what I could do at this point as she has had RA and are reasonably wide.

He said he is ok with me making an extraction socket like defect or ridge splitting.

Are there instruments you can guide me to for ridge splitting?

Thank you,

Jason

max anterior
smile

Nothing is required here Jason. Tooth movement performed well shall bring bone with the teeth in movement and manage any deficiency in ridge width. regards Dr. Salama

Orthodontic closure of old, edentulous spaces in the mandibular posterior region is a major challenge. In this report, we describe a method of orthodontic closure of edentulous spaces in the mandibular posterior region accelerated by piezoelectric decortication and alveolar ridge expansion. Combined piezosurgical and orthodontic treatments were used to close 14- and 15-mm-wide spaces in the mandibular left and right posterior areas, respectively, of a female patient, aged 18 years and 9 months, diagnosed with skeletal Class III malocclusion, hypodontia, and polydiastemas. After the piezoelectric decortication, segmental and full-arch mechanics were applied in the orthodontic phase. Despite some extent of root resorption and anchorage loss, the edentulous spaces were closed, and adequate function and esthetics were regained without further restorative treatment. Alveolar ridge expansion-assisted orthodontic space closure seems to be an effective and relatively less-invasive treatment alternative for edentulous spaces in the mandibular posterior region.You can visit at http://etoms.com for full information.

Slow movement wiill move bone and maintain soft tissue. No grafting necessary, I agree with Maurice

Omnia
BTI