The problem with dehiscences in the esthetic zone

67 Rating(s).

Posted on By Thanos Ntounis In Anterior/Esthetic

Young female presents in the office complaining about discomfort in the facial vestibule of #8. Clinical exam reveals normal PDs , lack of BOP and erythema and edema. An implant is placed on area of #8 in a reasonable prosthetic position. #7 was endodontically cleared.

What would be your approach? Would you start over? is the periosteum rubbing on the dehisced implant responsible for patient's symptoms?

I decided to revert to a modified sausage and avoid removing since there was lack of infections signs and pt already had restoration. Pt has been symptom free for the past 3 months.

Initial
CBCT

EDTA applied
autogenous&allograft

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on The problem with dehiscences in the esthetic zone

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

5 Comments

closure

Hi Thanos, what a common problem you have. Ask the patient how long has she the implant? This is a very usual finding, the image of the implant "out" of the bone frame, due to buccal resoprtion. I guess it was an immediate implant type I socket.
Good luck. And well done!
Regards
Jorg

Thank you Jorge! According to dentist who placed the implant was not an immediate... I felt it would be better to just graft instead of remove. See you in NYU!

Thanos,

few questions- do you know the length and diameter of the implant? If appears that there is a long prosthetic connection ? Did you treat the implant surface? By chance did you examine the overlying periosteum ?
Thanks for your post

Cheers,

Richard

Hello Richard!
1. Implant is a Straumann BL 4.1 x 10 mm I believe. I am attaching a PA
2. Implant surface treated with Prefgel. Please mind you that I do not consider the implant surface contaminated. In my mind this is not a peri-implantitis lesion.
3. Exam of the overlying peri-osteum did not reveal anything abnormal. I am just curious how other practitioners would approach this.

PA

PET Kit
3Shape