Preservation Management of Horizontal Impacted Cuspid

121 Rating(s).

Posted on By Charles Schwimer In Orthodontics

A 16 year old male was referred by his Orthodontist for evaluation of cuspid tooth for removal. I suggested we expose and erupt the cuspid into the arch. It is the SPoT way. What would you do?

Pre tx
Pre tx CBCT

Pre tx CBCT
Pre tx CBCT

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Preservation Management of Horizontal Impacted Cuspid

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

7 Comments

Sutures with chain attached to bracket

Well done! I would have also tried ortho traction. Removing a tooth is always the very last option!
I also wanted to point out something very important when exposing the canine; Not to remove bone from the cervical area (Enamel-Cement Junction) otherwise the risk of gingival retraction increases when erupted into te arch.
Thanks for sharing my friend!

Jose Mompell

Excellent point Pepo👍.The tooth is well protected and equipped to be coerced to position. We not impair nature. Thank for your input. All the best. Chuck.

Chuck, you know what I would say. Well done. Especially in younger patients. Also, a natural canine is a much better functional tooth for occlusal purposes than an implant. Canine rise/dislusion and off axis loading. Regards Mo

But of corse my friend. That is how we were taught long ago. Only now with better diagnostics the decisions are more clear. The CBCT uncared a high likelihood for success. ORTHODONTIC BONE MODULATION is a powerful FORCE OF NATURE. See you sooon!!!! Chuck

Chuck,

Spectacular,

With the ability to know the position of the tooth- benefits the patient all the way around and serves as an excellent communication tool with our orthodontists- flap management also key here- you know I love these cases

See you 24 hours

Cheers,

Richard

Just great....and see you soon at XP Symposium. regards Mo

Brasseler
3Shape