Mounting Evidence for the Efficacy of Direct Posterior Resin

114 Rating(s).

Posted on By Gerald Benjamin In Composite Resin

I started placing direct posterior resin restorations instead of amalgam following the introduction of Dentinal Adhesion. Studies by Dr. Gordon Christensen show that the survival rate of the average posterior resin is 7 Years.
I have been photographing my work for the last 25 years and can absolutely show that posterior resins will last at least 22 years without leaking.I am posting this so that Resin Deniers will reconsider the longevity and usefulness of resin.
I have always used a rubber dam to place my resins but only started using a bevel on all cavosurface margins about 16 years ago. This case does not have a bevel and margins are clearly visible but NO leakage on the vertical walls was evident.

Photograph of a 22 year old posterior resin. It is being replaced because of the mesial marginal ridge fracture
Photograph of tooth will all of the resin removed and the cavity prep stained with Caries Detect. Note the pink tinge on the floor. The dark area is not caries but a residual stain from the amalgam. Note that there is no leakage down the vertical walls

New completed MOL resin restoration with all cavosurface margins beveled and invisible.
Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Mounting Evidence for the Efficacy of Direct Posterior Resin

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

6 Comments

G

The magic touch. As I have said many times you make it look simple. It is not

Rocco

Master work. Great message. Regards.

Thanks Rocco and Ashok...
Remember this isn't about the new resin filling. It is to open the eyes of those that don't believe that resin is a valuable material in restorative dentistry. Resin allows teeth to be maintained for the longest possible amount of time before they need to be crowned.
Regards,
gerald

I fully agree, Gerald...with similar results with posterior composite resins. Incidentally, I first introduced the cavosurface bevel in the late 1960s and showed my 5 year results in Boston in the early 70s. Keep up your excellent work!! Ron-

Hi Dr. Goldstein;
The cavosurface margin has gone in and out of fashion these past 20 years.
The reason that I post these cases is that few have bothered to document their work over the past 20 years. This allows resin deniers to say that there is no evidence to show longevity. No one can now say that resins do not last and that they all leak.
I am always honored by your comments.
Thanks,
Gerald

Gerald; Just wonderful and conservative therapy. Well done. regards Maurice

Ritter
Dentalxp