Lost socket shield

0 Rating(s).

Posted on By Stanley Ryals In Failures

Today, I had to remove the socket shield on tooth #10. The procedure was done 3 1/2 years ago and the results were wonderful. However , a few weeks ago my patient reported feeling a crack sensation around the facial of the area when he apparently bit down on a hard piece of food. He felt no discomfort but days later a small fistula developed. Upon examination , it was obvious the socket shield was cracked and an infection was occurring. Therefore , I removed the shield and a small amount of facial bone. I also took an impression to have an Essex retainer fabricated and later filled the void with several PRF clots . I intend to bring the patient back next week to remove the crown and abutment . My question is whether I should attempt save the implant or remove it . The implant appears to be very stable . However , if I do remove it , I plan to simply let tissue fill in the socket area for 6-8 weeks then replace implant with the a bone graft procedure [ Buser technique ] . If I attempt to save implant I would move forward with grafting next week . Any thoughts ???

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Lost socket shield

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

0 Comments

3Shape
NovaBone