Hard & Soft Tissue Problems

0 Rating(s).

Posted on By Charles Payet In Implants

This patient came in last week for a consult. The 5 existing implants, which I'm pretty sure are Biomet 3i Encodes, were placed in 2014 by a periodontist. The lower canines were prepped and a 6-unit temp bridge placed at the same time. Those teeth are now non-restorable, and he only has 2 teeth on the right with which to eat. Initially, I thought it a straightforward case - extract the canines, level the ridge, place 2 implants at the lateral incisor or canine positions (leaning towards canines to allow 3 separate bridges), etc.

On closer look, however, there are a number of problems, including the maxillary arch, which also needs rehabilitation.

The more immediate concerns are:
1) very minimal attached gingiva around the implants; I'm surprised that the periodontist who placed them didn't address this, unless they planned to do so prior to restoration.
2) very thin (possibly non-existent?) bone on the buccal of several of the implants.

However, I'm very new to reading and understanding what CT scans do (and don't) show.

Restoratively, there will be some challenges/compromises if he can't do the maxillary arch at the same time.

He is eager to move forward since it's difficult to eat, but I don't want to rush into restoring him without being sure that the existing implants aren't too compromised.

CT slice #18
CT slice #19

CT slice #21
CT slice #28

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Hard & Soft Tissue Problems

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

0 Comments

Brasseler
Nobel Biocare