Gums swollen and bleed when I wear my retainer

0 Rating(s).

Posted on By George Brellas In Orthodontics

I removed my braces 6 days ago and I have been wearing my retainer for 16 or more hours or more everyday like I have been told for the last 4 days(since I got them). My gums are swollen before I wear the retainer and I rinse with salt water and use mouthwash after every brush, so that I clean them and shrink them. Every time I wear my retainer my gums hurt a lot and they also bleed, this only happens with the top retainer. Any ideas on what the solution is or why it happens, is it my fault or do I need to go to my orthodontist so that he can change my retainer?

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Gums swollen and bleed when I wear my retainer

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

6 Comments

I think you should go to a orthodontist as soon as possible as this is not a normal condition.

Yes, I also recommend same suggestion.

If your retainers are fitted properly, they should not cause your gums to bleed. Likewise, if you feel any discomfort when you wear your retainer, you should go back to your dentist to discuss a solution.

Wearing braces or retainers can make your gums more vulnerable. Sometimes, food particles can become lodged inside or around them, which, if not cleaned away, may lead to the build-up of plaque bacteria, one of the main causes of bleeding gums.

Wearing braces or retainers can make your gums more vulnerable. Sometimes, food particles can become lodged inside or around them, which, if not cleaned away, may lead to the build-up of plaque bacteria, one of the main causes of bleeding gums.

If your braces or retainers are fitted properly, they should not cause your gums to bleed. The challenge is that when you wear braces you have to be particularly careful to keep your teeth and gums clean to ensure that you effectively remove any build up of plaque bacteria.

Augma Bio
360 Imaging