Free Gingival Grafting of All on 5 Maxillary Case

217 Rating(s).

Posted on By Maurice Salama In Soft Tissue Enhancement

A patient presents with crestal bone loss and tissue recession 1 year after Full Arch immediate restoration at another facility. Often neglected in these case types is SOFT TISSUE MANAGEMENT....we decided to perform Free Gingival Grafts and Vestibuloplasty to compensate and protect the implants from further compromise. Thoughts? Dr. Salama

Preop view of tissue recession and lack of KT
Bed preparation and suturing to periosteum to create vestibule

FGG harvested from palate
Combination of tacks and sutures to secure FGG

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Free Gingival Grafting of All on 5 Maxillary Case

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

4 Comments

Preop and Post op at 3 weeks...

Preop
3 weeks healing

What is your experience with these cases holding up over time? How long do you expect the tissue to stay covering the threads before it becomes an issue again? How does the lack of bone affect the longevity of the soft tissue graft? Have you seen any of Dr. Ernesto Lee's SMART technique for bulk grafting of hard tissue and is that a technique that might some day be utilized in these cases?

Bruce; Lot's of questions. I will attempt to answer them.
1. Yes, this THICK, ATTACHED Keratinized Tissue holds up very well over time as does the vestibular extension removing destructive muscle pulls from the marginal gingiva allowing it to best remain in it's position.
2. Not sure about threads being re-exposed over time but in a much better position now to maintain health and hygiene. Thread exposure can be managed with implantoplasty to remove threads and smooth surface for cleansibility.
3. As for the SMART technique from Ernesto Lee, I have not utilized it and it would appear to me not to offer any significant advantage in this specific situation.
regards my friend Mo

Why did you use tacks in this case for graft fixation? Thank you.

Related Posts

KLS Martin
BioHorizons