Fractured RCT Root Tip left after extraction - should I be concerned?

63 Rating(s).

Posted on By Em Jay In Endodontics

I have had my bottom right wisdom tooth and the tooth after it removed. I have posted 2 pictures, before and after the extractions.

The tooth after the wisdom tooth was RCT treated a few years back but never had a permanent filling and was left open for quite some time (2-3 years)

Upon extraction, the root tip was fractured and left inside.

Dentist at first tried 3 times and advised that it will be okay to leave it inside, and that it will flush out automatically after a fee months.

On a second opinion, I was told that this needs to be removed since it can cause trouble with a future implant.

Kindly advise if I should remove it or keep it.

Before and after pictures posted.

Regards,

Before Extraction
After Extraction

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Fractured RCT Root Tip left after extraction - should I be concerned?

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

1 Comments

Jay, not to worry, its an Iatrogenic Root Submergence,lol. You have good amount of bone between IAN and the root tip, so during Implant placement they can crush this small piece if that comes in line with the osteotomy drill, OR if it's placed away from the drilling path then it acts as a submerged root tip even after implant placement. Regards, Ashok

Dentalxp
BioHorizons