Fractured implant

19 Rating(s).

Posted on By UDATTA KHER In Implants

I had placed a couple of implant for a young female patient who had congenitally missing teeth in 2014. The case was restored by the prosthodontics after completion of the orthodontic treatment. I hadn't seen the patient ever since.
Last week the patient reported with a mobility in the crown on #23. To our horror we realised that the implant has fractured!!
What could have caused it?
And how we proceed from here?

Deficient ridge
Implant placement

Ridge augmentation
After 4 years

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Fractured implant

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

7 Comments

This is very unfortunate :(

What do you think was the reason behind it? manufacturing error, parafunctional habits/occlusion?

On first glance I would consider burying this implant and support the two crowns on the one implant but then again would this jeopardise the remaining implant making it prone to fracture as well?

Ioannis

Hi
There might have been a bone loss,that resulted in increased crow to implant ratio,hence-fracture.
I would go for cantilever bridge.
Thanks for sharing!
Todor

There is some bone loss now. But I am not certain if that happened after the fracture. The patient reported at a late stage after the crown became very mobile. So my feeling is that the fracture occurred first and then the bone loss.

Udatta, do you have access to the records before the ortho had started?
Does this patient have mandibular or palatal tori?

No Tori.

do you have a picture of upper and lower canines on another side?

Pre op situation

Omnia
Nobel Biocare