Fractured bridge abutment

68 Rating(s).

Posted on By bruce birchenough In Implants

Patient has a 20y.o. bridge. Fractured #7. Wanted suggestions on tx plan, timing of visits etc. #9 is slightly mobile possibly due to #7, but asymptomatic otherwise. #8 pontic area is collapsed buccally. Esthetic demand fairly low. He's 45 y.o. male.

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Fractured bridge abutment

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

3 Comments

You can certainly extend the bridge to the cuspid if the patient is not that concerned with esthetics and he may not even want perio surgery to enhance the gingival relationship. Obviously there are other procedures that can be suggested but your patient does not seem to be interested.

Bruce; You could do crown length on #7 if fracture is horizontal and favorable and extend the bridge as Dr. Goldstein suggested. The other option would be implant placement with bone graft for #7 & 8 knowing the esthetics are not a concern. regards Mo

My thoughts were to place an implant and cantilever the pontic. Wasn't sure which position I should place the implant? Was concerned that a natural tooth supported bridge would place too much lateral force on #9. also worried if I crown lengthen and bridge #7 setting up for future failure of abutment teeth. If I went with implant wasn't sure if I reduce and utilize the #7 root? Thanks

Hu-Friedy
3Shape