The Direct Resin Mock Up

23 Rating(s).

Posted on By Gerald Benjamin In Anterior/Esthetic

I believe that the vast majority of restorative dentists do not value the Direct Resin Mock UP fabricated on the first appointment. A 34 year old female presented for a cosmetic consultation; she has a history of orthodontics as a teenager and the cuspids were placed in the position of the laterals and recontoured. The centrals were too narrow and the gingival area under contoured. In addition, there were large, unattractive diastamas between the first bicuspids and the cuspids. My question was, "Is this a restorative case or must the patient have a second round of orthodontics to move the cuspids back into their correct positions and then implants placed in the congenitally missing laterals. The beauty of moving the cuspids is that the bone will stay in the position of the laterals. The decision would be made if and this was a big 'if', a mock up could be done that looked esthetic. My Direct Resin Mock UP was accomplished in 10 minutes and the patient was thrilled that ortho could be avoided. Crown root lengthening would be required which we also learned from the mockup. My mock ups are not works of art but are designed to tell the dentist which modality or modalities of treatment are required to complete the case and to show the patient how good they will look if treatment moves forward.

Anterior view of patient as she presents for the consultation
The completed Direct Resin Mock UP

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on The Direct Resin Mock Up

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

9 Comments

The power of DRM !!!. Beautiful Dr.Gerald.

Thanks Ashok.
The patient did not have the finances to move forward BUT I sent her the photos via email and she will never get her potential smile out of her mind...Someday, someway.
gerald

A lost art form....beautiful.

Thank you so much Maurice. The overwhelming majority of dentists do not appreciate the diagnostic value of the direct resin mockup. Having a lab do the wax up or mock up is like stealing the answer from your neighbor on a math test without knowing how you got the result. Regards, Gerald

Great diagnostic tool and an amazing communication/consultation tool for the patient.
It's better than a "pictures worth a thousand words" for the patient. Once the patients see what you can do for them they almost always eventually move forward.
Good job.
Brian

Thank you very much Brian. Your work is exceptional and your comments are sincerely appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Gerald

how did you do that in ten minutes?

Hi Adam; I have been doing Direct Resin Mock Ups for well over 20 years. I took several courses on Direct Resin Mock Ups from Dr. David Baird of Bellevue, WA. David was one of the earliest proponents of direct mock ups for cosmetic consultations. In addition, my assistants are completely Spear trained and AACD trained so that they guide me as I place the resin. I have taken many course with Newton Fahl, the best resin dentist in the world, so resin is one of my favorite materials. A few weeks ago, I posted a 10 year follow up on a direct resin case. Adam, this is a skill well worth acquiring. Regards, Gerald

Thanks Gerald, I'm impressed.

Dentalxp
Nobel Biocare