Densah Drills. Stop looking for the markings--focus on the long axis

104 Rating(s).

Posted on By Emil DDS In Implants

Recently started using Densah Drills and have found them to be as advertised. Immediate cases and where there is some need for expansion. Vertical control with VerbanDrillstop is a big plus.

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on Densah Drills. Stop looking for the markings--focus on the long axis

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

13 Comments

Do you use them in extraction sites as well? All cases, even dense bone sites? Thanks Dr. Salama

Hi Maurice

Yes I use them in extraction cases as well. The beauty ---these drills are my "go to" drills for all of the implants I place regardless of the bone density. I place Megagen, Implant Direct and Blue Sky Bio.

In dense bone I will simply use them in the clockwise direction.

Extraction without stop

Here is a 10 week follow-up

10 weeks
10 weeks

I just began using the Densah burs .I found that they work very nicely for mild to moderate expansion of the alveolar housing with out removing any bone with a counterclockwise rotation. What drill stop set are you using in your photo?

I have developed a set of stops for these drills. A vertical stop is essential for these drills in my opinion. Allows you to focus on the axis of placement.

I will have a kit available in a few weeks for purchase.

Contact me at VerbanDrillstops.com.

I normally use the Salvin drill stop kit. I will check in with you at your website in a few weeks. Thank you

This is a very interesting concept and I am looking forward to trying it. But for me the picture that is most important in the CBCT after integration check and a 1 year check to see what the bone on the outside of the implant looks like. People often tell me you cannot see a 1mm of bone on CBCT so if that is the case then there is not enough. I want to see at least 2mmof buccal bone over the implant otherwise in my eyes the case is a flop

Dear Howard:
You are right. I would like to emphasis your point and add the caution that these burs should not change the surgical protocols that we have been following for years.
Although, the burs will not excavate bone in densifying mode and will preserve it to avoid the possibility of dehesince or fenestration in borderline-ridge width cases, but my absolute recommendation is to have at the end a 1.5-2 mm of surrouding bone thickness for a good long term bone level, otherwise cervical resorption is an expected risk.
In my hands, the burs allow me to expand and place the whole length of the implant in autogenous bone with limited to no threads exposure, then I am able to graft as an augmentation measure to increase bone thickness to the 2 mm mark, when needed, and prevent subsequent resorption. This way the graft is not expected to generate bone on threads, which makes the outcome more predictable.
Our multi-center expansion data is showing that physical expansion is less evident in wider ridges (7-9mm) group and it is more evident in (3-4 mm) group where it is needed the most. I look forward to share details by fall 2015.

6 month follow-up

6 months
6 months

Emil ,
very nice result and use of Densah drill.
The application of your drillstop is interesting as it can be applied in several clinical situation, in my case interesting the application on guided surgery.
I'd like to ask how does stop drills apply to versah and how does the coolant irrigation works.
keep in touch, my friend.
Armando

Armando

I have added holes to the stop which allow irrigation flow to the flutes of the Densah Bur.

Here is a 2 year follow-up on this case.

2 year follow-up
2 year follow-up

Remember the infamous words "Bone sets the tone,but tissue is the issue. " This case had good thick keratinized tissue as well