BREAKING PARADIGMS

117 Rating(s).

Posted on By Alberto Miselli In Implants

Breaking Paradigms such as Crown-Root Relationship ... Crown-Implants ... instead of talking about B.I.C. Bone Implant Contact. This case will surprise many skeptics ... It is not enough for an implant company to decide to put a short implant on their implant catalogue, because they are seeing the world trend and studies show it, and they cut the middle part of the length of the implant 11.5mm long and they remove 6.5mm titanium and ... ready! They already have a short implant. That far from the truth ... that far from biology! that far from Bioengineering ... Placing a short implant while maintaining the same principles of long implants is to ignore biomechanics. Seeing and understanding is the key !!! The debate opens ...

Add to Favorites
Add a comment to the discussion on BREAKING PARADIGMS

Upload photos
1.  Photo Title:

2.  Photo Title:

Would you like to follow this post?
Case has been added to your favorites.
Case has been removed from your favorites.
Thank you for your input. Your comment has been posted.
You are now following this member. You will get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
You are no longer following this member. You will not get notified on any new topics posted by this member.
Edit Comment
1.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
2.  Photo Title:
Current Image:   Delete Image
Comment has been updated.

8 Comments

Alberto: morse taper connection, platform switch, high and narrow abutment collar, threads that give a good implant stability...
Tell me from restorative dentist point of view: how tricky is morse taper connection?
You inspired me to open my file with screen shots from Craig M. Misch XP video lecture - compressed knowledge about short implants and alternatives (actually vice versa: short and extra short implants as an alternative to vertical ridge augmentation).
Great topic for discussion, thank you for sharing!
Cheers
Snjezana

Wow....remarkable radiographs. Explain more aboutthe biomechanics here? regards Maurice

Thank you Maurice, What a good question!.
The forces in which the implants are subjected are two: axial and coaxial.
In the axial force, the forces don´t decompose and in the co-axial forces they decompose, in a perpendicular to the axis of the implant and in a sliding one.
In aggressive and self-threatening threads, the occlusal forces, both axial and coaxial, are broken down, so the implant is subjected to constant stress.
For a short implants, to work biomechanically, there should be no threads, and less aggressive ones.
Implant companies that have implants with that type of aggressive thread, wanted to create a short implants, maintaining that type of thread, they cut the implant and removed the middle bodying joining the top and the bottom.
In these types of implants, by the way, I don't have any conflict of interest with this company, these implants hasn't threads, but parallel fins like a pagoda. All the forces act in the same way, in the zone of pressure and tension, forces are not decomposed. The design of the fins has two faces, one horizontal in the back and another, somewhat oblique in the upper, in this way the forces do not decompose and there is a more even bone stimulus.
On the other hand, these implants work much better when they are submerged 2-3 mm and the cone morse connection avoids the micro movement and the pumping effect.
I am convinced that implant companies are seeing these types of implants.
It is not the perfect implant, The perfect implant doesn't exist yet but we are on the right track.
Best regards Maurice!!!

Thank you Dr. Pohl. short and ultra short implants are an alternative in our implant theraphy. I have only 10 11 years of experience with these implants... a just now I'm checking cases with 5 and 10 years and all works perfect! but just the implant submerged 2 or 3 mm!!!

Thank you Snjezana Pohl!!! we need to check it out many articles about short implants... best regards Zana

Very nice post Alberto!
This case makes perfect sense from physiology and physics prospectives.

Muy bueno Alberto. Abrazo

gracias Miguel saludos

Hu-Friedy
NovaBone